Happy Holidays Everybody!
CEO/corporate activism is a growing trend. Until recently, it was rare for corporate leaders to plunge aggressively into thorny social and political discussions about race, sexual orientation, gender, immigration, and the environment. This is no longer the case. The so-called Michael Jordan dictum that Republicans buy sneakers too no longer applies. Here are a few examples:
· NBA players halted play for three days in a protest sparked by the police shooting of Jacob Blake, a black man in Kenosha, Wisconsin.
· Hobby Lobby wanting protection from laws prohibiting them from denying contraception benefits for their employees or their kin.
· Goldman Sachs’s CEO, David Solomon, and Biogen’s former CEO George Scangos have spoken out publicly on government policies that affect the rights of LGBTQ individuals.
· Chick-fil-A’s CEO, Dan Cathy, has denounced gay marriage.
In this SIG, we will explore:
· The dynamics of why this is happening,
· The implication of activism on company’s employees, customers, and culture.
· Whether corporate activism galvanizes social consciousness or further polarizeS our country.
· Whether it is a good or bad trend.
I hope you will join me for what I am sure will be a provocative conversation.
Be well and stay safe,
P.S. Registration is limited to 25 people. We have been experiencing ~ 40% no-shows which is unfortunate. Out of consideration for members who want to and can attend, we ask that you:
- Only register if you know you can attend.
- If a conflict arises and you cannot attend, please cancel your registration. (This is why we send reminders)
Thanks for your help.